Donate to help WE ARE KINGS get distribution!
RENT OR BUY THE MOVIE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE [9/5/2014]
World Wide Premiere
Friday, September 19, 2014, 7:30 p.m.
Engagement September 19-26, 2014
Hollywood’s Arena Cinema
We Are Kings is an independent feature film about life, triumph over adversity, multi-generation and racial relationships, and never giving, wonderfully told in a road movie musical that will carry viewers on a joyful, triumphant journey, soothe their souls, and warm their hearts. Written and directed by Toby Hubner, the worldwide premiere is set for Friday, September 19, 2014 at Hollywood’s Arena Cinema, 1625 North Las Palmas Avenue, Los Angeles, CA (www.arenascreen.com). The film will be distributed by Indie Rights/Nelson Madison Films (www.indierights.com).
The lead roles were cast with real musicians and almost all of the music in the film was written and recorded, on location, and performed by the musicians in the film. The exceptional original music is a big part of the story, starring multifaceted blues man Sammy Blue, Atlanta’s “Crown Prince of the Blues” (also Hottrax recording artist, “A Blues Odyssey”; and featured in Clint Eastwood’s Trouble with the Curve).
We Are Kings is the story of a down and out blues man, I.B. King, trying to save his blues bar and his deathly ill wife, Lilly, played by legendary diva and former Raelette Rita Graham, whose album Rita Graham Vibrations was produced by Ray Charles. I.B. hits the road for Chicago to somehow bail it all out with a record deal in his Blues Bucket, a sun-blasted 1973 Winnebago painted blue.
True to the blues, the would-be record deal falls through and I.B. has no gigs, is penniless and hopeless with Lilly in the hospital dying. Then, he finds himself lying in the middle of a frozen road one night, about to die, when he is visited by life-changing forces.
Lilly’s spirit leaves her body and descends upon I.B. to convince him that life is worth living. Then, magically, she guides two young, homeless, hard rock musicians – Layla Knuckles (played by Bianca Ryan, America’s Got Talent’s first-ever winner) and Dustin Ladue (played by Jonathon Boogie Long, blues phenom and “King of the Blues” winner in Guitar Center’s national competition, as well as opening act at age 23 for BB King) – to stumble across his near frozen body and drag him back inside the Blues Bucket.
A couple of hundred miles down the road they pick up a young runaway – Sam the Rapper (played by Pryce Watkins aka Pryce, RCA/Sony recording artist with a unique, endearing rap style) – and the rest is history, as they gig from town to town and one of the most unique and strangest videos viralizes online about a band from nowhere and a ghost, all heading south in a bucket of bolts called the Blues Bucket.
Against all odds, these disparate souls come together, and triumph. Whether they know it or not, they need each other, and they find each other – first through their music – and ultimately through relationships that are enriched by the kinds of experiences only a hard-knocks road trip and music can generate.
We Are Kings is filled with good humor and celebrates real life. It tells a story that will resonate with a broad audience, an audience that may not yet know how powerful and moving blues music can be, until they see it, hear it, and feel it.
We Are Kings has been certified by the Dove Foundation for family appropriate viewing by 12-year-olds and older.
We Are Kings Project Links:
- Official Trailer: http://youtu.be/tnRleD1g7pk?list=UUNHQ9gr0yzixx7pdVhDHTJA
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WeAreKingsTheMovie
- Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNHQ9gr0yzixx7pdVhDHTJA
- Sammy Blue sings Modern Woman: http://youtu.be/5H-gQcO1uu4
- Rita Graham fronts Harry James Big Band (London 1971): http://youtu.be/gkAYPh8uUEs
- Bianca Ryan on America’s Got Talent: http://youtu.be/BD8Q8zWlCy8
- J Boogie Long at Montreal Blues Fest 2013: http://youtu.be/WFAzT2CDoEc
- King of the Blues: Boogie Long wins Guitar Center’s National Competition: http://youtu.be/zcPsr6wdzIQln
- Pryce’s Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PryceMusicATL
- Sammy Blue and Rita Graham duet: http://youtu.be/879fbeoJEis
- Official Website: www.wearekingsthemovie.com
# # #
RENT OR BUY THE MOVIE
We Are Kings
Writer: Toby Hubner
Cast: Bianca Ryan, Sammy Blue and Pryce D. Watkins
- Toby Hubner, Writer/Producer/Director, Press Contact: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org; 718-247-9892; France: 33 6 1981 7297
- Lori Henry, Press Contact New York, Los Angeles: email@example.com, 914-698-6759
- Tim Arnold, Executive Producer, Press contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, 917-748-6058
- Sunni McCord, Press Contact, We Are Kings and Bianca Ryan: email@example.com, 808-722-6206
Linda Nelson, Michael Madison, Distributor
CEO/Nelson Madison Films/Indie Rights, 117 Winston Street, #306, Los Angeles, CA 90013
(213) 280-5350 Cell; (213) 613-1587 Office
We Are Kings Ticket Sales for Arena Cinema: